Winter weather can be harsh on cars, which is why it’s important to take extra precautions when shipping your vehicle during this time. To ensure your car makes it to its destination in pristine condition, here are a few tasks you should complete before handing it over to the shipping company.
• Clean your car. Give your car a good cleaning, both inside and out. Make sure to remove bike and roof racks from the outside and personal belongings from the inside to prevent loss or damage. A clean vehicle allows for a proper inspection prior to shipping.
• Check the tires. Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended pressure. If your car is being transported to a cold destination, have winter tires installed.
• Swap the windshield wiper blades. Inspect your windshield wiper blades and replace them if necessary. If your car is being shipped somewhere cold, make sure to fill the reservoir with winter windshield washer fluid.
• Top up all fluids. Check your car’s fluid levels. For example, top up the oil, transmission and coolant levels and check for leaks. Additionally, ensure there’s between a quarter and a half a tank of gas in your vehicle.
• Protect the battery. Ensure your battery is fully charged and properly secured in its bracket. Inspect the terminals and make sure they’re tight and free of corrosion. Note that keys with access to the trunk are required for EVs as it may become necessary to access the trunk compartment for charging purposes.
Snow, ice and winter weather conditions can make it difficult to move your car from one location to another. However, with an auto shipping company like Hansen’s that offers year-round transport services, you can rest assured that your car will be safely transported to its destination, no matter the weather conditions.
If you need comprehensive winter car shipping services, Hansen’s has you covered. We manage our own fleet of vehicles and offer a vehicle tracking service, so you know your car is in good hands. Contact us today to request a free quote from our experts to ship your vehicle across Canada or to the U.S.